Basic Mitts Materials
- 1 ball worsted weight yarn (110 yds)
- Tapestry needle
- Length of waste yarn
- 2 stitch markers
- US size 7 dpns
Basic Mitts Pattern and NotesGauge swatch measures 18 sts by 24 rows for a 4" square.
CO 28 sts and distribute over three dpns 10, 10, 8.
Join and begin 2 x 2 ribbing for 2 1/2 inches. This is the cuff. You can make it longer if you wish. K next 2 rows increasing 1 st each row (30 sts).
- R1: k10, pm, m1, k1, m1, pm, k across
- R2: k all
- R3: k to m, m1, k to m, m1, slm, k across
- R4-5: k all
- R6: repeat R3
- R7-8: k all
- R9: repeat R3
- R10-11: k all
- R12: repeat R3
- R13-14: k all
St st for 4 inches from base of thumb or until desired length.
Decrease: K2tog every rnd until 4-5 sts remain. Graft together.
Thumb:Sl sts from holder to needles and pick up 3-4 sts across gap to fill holes.
- R1: dec to # of st of thumb gusset +1 (12sts)
- cont in St st until 2 inches from base of thumb
- dec every round by k2tog until 2-3 sts remain
- graft together
A few of my notes from working the pattern:
- When you make a stitch, I found it easier to k1 keeping the st on the left needle, then ktbl on that same st dropping it off the needle after. This way you've made a st and k one at the same time. I also didn't get any holes this way
- When I k2tog, I k the last st on any dpn that had an odd number of sts on it. I thought it made it a lot easier.
- I also tried my mitten on frequently to make sure it was fitting properly. The pattern above makes a ladies small.